Saturday, April 30, 2011

Deep Fried Ice Cream


With Cinco De Mayo around the corner I was in search for a Mexican recipe that I could make to celebrate.  I happened to stumble across fried ice cream which had completely slipped my mind.  When I was a kid I disliked Mexican food but would eat when we went out with the promise of fried ice cream as a dessert.  My husband and daughter had never had it which made it even more exciting.

We used Coconut Milk ice cream, chocolate and strawberry.  Both flavors were good.  My husband didn't really get the finish product.  He thought it would have been good without frying it.  Making these was a pretty involved process and I think if I were to make them again I would make them a day before I planned on eating them.  A bonus was that the Little Vegan had a blast making them and really liked them especially since she got to stay up till 10:30pm for dessert.

Ingredients
2 pints vegan ice cream of choice
5 cups frosted corn flakes crushed
1 cup  cashew cream
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 dash cayenne pepper

Cover a cookie sheet or dish that will fit in your freezer with wax paper. Roll ice cream into balls (I made 4 balls per pint.) Place balls on wax paper and cover with plastic wrap.  Put in freezer for at least 2 hours.   Mix cashew cream, sugar, cinnamon, cocoa and cayenne.  Roll balls in cashew cream and again in corn flakes so that they are well covered. Freeze for 30 minutes. Repeat process. Freeze again for a minimum of 30 minutes (they can freeze over night.)

Heat oil to 375 degrees.  If you don't have  deep fryer fill a pot with 4" oil and heat to 375.  Fry for 30 seconds(the recipes I read said a minute but the one I let go that long fell apart.) Remove from oil, set on paper towel for a second and serve immediately.  Serve with chocolate syrup.  The recipe I used is below.

Chocolate topping
3/4 cups chocolate chips
1/4 vegan milk of choice
1 tsp honey
dash cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment