Saturday, December 11, 2010

Buffalo Strips



Personally, I never cared much for chicken.  There was a period in my life where I was a workout junkie and ate a lot of it because I believed it was healthy for me.  However, there has always been a place in my heart and stomach for Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dressing.  After going vegetarian my husband and I got hooked on Morning Stars version, it wasn't completely satisfying but it made us content.  After eliminating dairy we have been unable to find an acceptable version so I decided to create my own.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!







Buffalo Sauce
4oz Earth Balance (1 stick)or butter substitute
1/2 cup hot sauce
1/4 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
small garlic clove pressed
1 tsp brown sugar

Melt Earth Balance in large skillet over low heat. Add remaining ingredients, stir and let warm over low heat. Stir occasionally.

Chickenless Strips
2 8oz packages of Trader Joe's or Gardein's chicken-less strips
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup bread crumbs

Mix flour and bread crumbs.  Put strips in seal able container or bag and pour flour mixture over strips, close container and shake until all strips are covered.  I deep fry at 375 degrees for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.  Or fry in oil until golden brown.  Once they are done put them in buffalo sauce and stir them until covered.

Two packages may seem like a lot but my husband and I are small eaters and we finished them all in a single sitting. 

You may also bread tofu and fry.  Doesn't taste as authentic but still good!

Blue "Cheesey" Dressing
3 oz blue cheese alternative (I used Sunergia's Soy Bleu)
1/2 cup soy sour cream
1 cup vegan mayo
juice of one lemon (apprx 1 Tbsp)
1 small garlic clove, pressed
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce

Crumble cheese with fork.  Mix together remaining ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment