Monday, January 3, 2011

Sweet & Sour

In Seattle we are spoiled for there are a plethora of Vegan options for our dining out needs.  As fortunate as we are, we have yet to find a Chinese restaurant that compares to the one we frequented in California. After living here a couple years and getting tired of my husbands response to "What do you want for dinner?"  being "Sweet and Sour" I began reading recipes on how to make it.  As I do for the most of my creations I read authentic meat based recipes and the following is how I veganized it.  Quickly, it has become my husbands favorite dinner which is no problem because it is super simple.  From start to finish it can be served in 45 minutes.  Also noteworthy:  If you are looking for something on the healthy side the sauce would be tasty over tofu, seiten or tempeh that wasn't fried.  This recipe feeds my family of three.  Xiangshou!  Enjoy!

Sauce
1Tbsp Canola Oil
1 medium onion chopped (red or yellow or a mix of both)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp Tamari or Braggs
3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
3 Tbsp Vegan Worchestire Sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large bell pepper chopped (any color)
1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1/4 cup water
2 tsp cornstarch
8oz Protein (chicken-less chicken, button mushrooms, seiten, or tofu chunks)
1/3 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup water

If using a fryer preheat to 350 degrees.  If you are frying in a pan you will need a separate skillet and oil to fry in.

In a skillet saute onion in oil and garlic powder over medium heat until onions are translucent.  Add vinegars, Tamari, tomato paste, and Worchestire. Slowly add brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Add bell pepper and pineapple.  Separately mix water and cornstarch.  Bring sauce to a slight boil and slowly stir in cornstarch mixture.  Put heat on low and let sauce thicken stirring occasionally.

In a bowl mix breadcrumbs, flour, and salt.  Stir in water to make a batter.  Add your choice of protein to mixture and gently stir in until well coated.  Fry until golden brown (in fryer around 4 minutes.)  I have a small fryer so I have to fry in thirds so when I start, I preheat the oven to 200 degrees and keep the fried food in the oven while the other batches are cooking to keep them warm.

Serve over rice of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment