Thursday, February 3, 2011

Devilish Bites

Once upon a time I loved deviled eggs.  As I think I mentioned before I was never an egg fan but something about them made this way got my attention every time.  This week I have been thinking about appetizers thanks to the idea of game day parties and my frustration of going to most parties and heading straight for the veggies tray because that was all I could eat.
If I am not working, hanging out with my family or cooking I am reading cookbooks and recipes of all  kinds to find recipes that I may convert.  In a handful of my most recent reads I have found variations of these bread cups that have been used to hold various spreads.  All the recipes I have read called for a thin sliced, dense, white bread which was really difficult to find vegan.  The bread I chose tasted great, but didn't hold up well and wasn't visually pleasing.  If you opt to try the bread method I recommend you have crackers in reserve just in case.  Or possibly make it into little tea sandwiches.
I found the filling amazing and I think you could fool egg lovers.  On the other hand my husband who hates deviled eggs enjoyed this just knowing that it wasn't an egg. If you figure out something better to serve it on I would love to hear about it!

Devilish Filling
15 oz can garbanzo beans (drained)
1/2 cup vegan mayo
2 tsp sweet relish
1 tsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 tsp Tamari
1/2 tsp turmeric
paprika

In a food processor or blender mix all ingredients except paprika until creamy.  Use either a pastry bag with tip of choice or a plastic bag with a whole cut in the corner to put it on whatever you choose to serve it on.  Sprinkle top with paprika.

Bread recipe (if you choose to try it)
Mini muffin pan (lightly greased)
bread slices
3 tbsp Earth Balance
1/4 tsp dill

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt Earth Balance and add dill.  With a rolling pin roll bread slices (this was in every recipe I read and it seems to make it a denser consistency.)  Cut the bread so that you can easily fill it into the muffin pan.  Brush or cover both sides of bread with Earth Balance mixture.  Gently push into muffin pan. so it resembles a cup.)  Bake for approximately 10 minutes until bread is crispy.  Once it cools fill it with devilish egg mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment