Saturday, February 12, 2011

No Name Casserole


So we are goofy here at Don't Fear The Vegan.  While eating dinner we threw out names trying to figure out what to call this concoction and my 6 year old decided on "No Name Casserole."  So there you go. The original plan for the day was vegan lasagna but we couldn't find egg-less lasagna noodles and I wasn't up to making my own.  Plus I forgot to buy the mushrooms and we had declared today jammie day so I couldn't possibly go to the store.  This was thrown together from items that I had on hand. With that said, it was great as is but I think I would have added a little more sauce(maybe 1/2 of another jar, but I like things saucy.)

1 lb tofu (not Firm)
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp yellow miso
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried onion
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb chub polenta
1 1/2 lbs zucchini
2 large tomatoes
2 bell peppers (I used red & yellow)
6 oz chopped artichoke hearts
4 cups raw baby spinach
25 oz jar of your favorite tomato sauce (put one cup aside)
4 oz vegan cream cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  I used a 8" x 13" casserole dish that was 3" deep.

Thinly slice polenta.
In a large frying pan add approximately a tablespoon at a time of olive oil (I added more for each batch and with the size of my pan I had to cook in 3 batches.) Cook polenta until it becomes a brighter shade of yellow.  Do not let get crispy.  I prefer the polenta slightly moister, if you don't you may skip the frying process which will also make this lower in fat.  Slice zucchini, tomatoes and bell peppers has thin as possible.  These were done in a food processor.
In a bowl crumble tofu with a fork.  Mix in 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, miso, vinegar, garlic, onion powder, basil, and oregano. In blender or food processor mix 1 cup sauce with cream cheese and 1 tbsp nutritional yeast until creamy(this is for top layer.)  The following is how I layered it but you may certainly do it however you like.  

A thin layer of tomato sauce on bottom

1/2 polenta (spread out, will not cover completely)
1/2 zucchini
tomatoes (all)
1/2 tofu mix
1/2 spinach
1/2 artichoke
left over sauce (not counting 1 cup saved
bell pepper (all)
rest of tofu mix
rest of artichoke
rest of spinach
rest of zucchini
rest of polenta
sauce/cream cheese mix

Bake for 1 hour.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment