Saturday, February 26, 2011

Two "Cheese" Mac



Well I must say to those of you that have tried my original Mock Mac & Cheese recipe, my taste buds say this blows it away!  I had leftover Swissy Sauce from the French Onion Soup that I couldn't let go to waste and added that to a different cheese sauce.  Wow!  How many times can I plug my own recipes?  So in Seattle there is a vegan restaurant we love called Plum, that makes a most excellent "spicy mac and yease" and with that in mind Felipe thought this needed a little spice.  I  kept it basic so that the young vegan would eat it. Plus I love traditional homemade mac and cheese. If you also prefer spicy,  I would recommend adding some hot sauce or chilli powder to the cheese mix. Or just add hot sauce over the top at the end.

1 lb elbow macaroni
2 1/2 tbsp Braggs amino acids
1 tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp miso
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Water
1/3 cup Earth balance
1/4 cup flour
1 cup vegan sour cream
1 cup Swissy Sauce
Fried onion or bread crumbs (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 D

Cook elbow macaroni according to package.  In a one cup liquid measuring cup mix Braggs, Vinegar, miso, tomato paste, and nutritional yeast.  Add water so mix equals one cup. In a small sauce pan melt Earth Balance over low heat.  Slowly whisk flour into Earth Balance to create a paste.  Slowly stir in water mix.  Stir in 1 cup sour cream.  Put 1/2 cup of this mix aside for top.  In remaining mix add 1 cup Swissy Sauce.  In the pot that you cooked macaroni in mix two cheese sauce with macaroni. Pour in a casserole dish. Add remaining 1/2 cup leftover cheese to top.   Sprinkle top with bread crumbs or fried onions.  Bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment