Saturday, April 16, 2011

Strawberry Creamed Jel


Ever have one of those days where you wanted to cook, didn't have a whole lot to work with and couldn't muster up the energy to deal with a grocery store on your day off?  This actually happens to me on a fairly regular basis.  I hate grocery shopping!  Fortunately, my husband does it all which is awesome except for the times when I haven't planned ahead.  Luckily I come up with some of my best creations when I have been told "there is nothing to cook."

This recipe came about because of one of the above described moments.  I wanted a homemade dessert and had a limited list of random things available.  My dessert came out nothing like the recipe I was trying to emulate but delicious none the less.  The taste reminded us of those Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars, the ones that have the strawberry in the center, surrounded by vanilla ice cream and then rolled in cake crumbs.  Our friend said it tasted like a strawberry parfait.  Regardless of what it may remind you of, I am sure you will like the taste.

This was supposed to be a pie but it never set.  When I made it I had lined a pie dish with the crumb mixture forming a pie crust.  I then filled it with the Jel mixture and chilled.  After eating it and knowing that it didn't firm up I wrote the recipe so that you simply serve the crumb mixture on top.  I am mainly explaining this so that you know when you serve it as stated below it will look different.

Ingredients:
1 3oz package strawberry Jel dessert (we use Natural Desserts brand) prepared according to box
1 8oz package of vegan cream cheese
1 tsp maple syrup
1/4 + 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup strawberry coconut cream ice cream (keep frozen until ready to use)
1 cup peanut butter sandwich crackers* mashed
3 tbsp Earth balance
1 lb sliced strawberries
chocolate chips for decoration (optional)

*I had these crackers on hand but graham crackers or another cookie would work.

Jel needs to be firm before you make the recipe.  Mix cream cheese and maple syrup with a mixer.  Slowly mix in 1/2 cup powdered sugar.  Blend in firmed Jel (it will not break up completely but will look like little specks.)  Blend in ice cream.  Refrigerated for a minimum of a half hour.

In a separate bowl mix together mashed crackers and 1/4 cup powdered sugar.  With a fork blend in Earth Balance until it becomes crumbly.

In individual serving bowls put sliced strawberries on bottom.  Spoon Jel mixture on top of strawberries.  Cover generously with crumb topping and more strawberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment