Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hash Brown Chorizo Pie


As so many of my recipes start out, I bought some vegan chorizo and wanted to something different with it.  Exploring recipes including eggs and potatoes lead me to the idea of quiche, which lead to hash brown quiche recipes which morphed into this idea. 
Now, I have to be honest.  I think I have had a quiche once about 25 years ago and found it to be absolutely disgusting but I never really cared for eggs so I thought I might like a vegan quiche, though I have no recollection of the texture or taste.  Finished product: flavor was great but I personally didn't like the texture (it was really smooth like re-fried beans.) Hubby on the other hand loved it and said it was great reheated today on the stove top.  I thought it would have been good in a burrito with salsa and vegan sour cream.  Being the potato freak that I am I loved the crust!

Hash Brown Crust
3 cups grated potatoes (about 4 small russets) or frozen hash browns
4 tbsp oil or melted vegan buttery spread
1/8 tsp sea salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix ingredients. In a 9" pie pan press potatoes on bottom and sides to form a crust.    Bake about 30 minutes until golden brown brown.

Filling
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
juice of one lemon
1 tbsp white miso
2 1/2 tbsp Bragg's
1/3 cup water
4 tbsp vegan buttery spread
1 shallot diced
1 large clove garlic pressed
1/2 cup dice roma tomato (1 small)
2 tbsp garbanzo bean flour
14 oz firm tofu
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
2/3 cup heavy cashew cream
12 oz soy chorizo (the one I used was gluten free)
1 jalapeno sliced lengthwise, seeds removed (optional)
vegan sour cream (optional)

Reduced oven to 375 degrees.  Mix ingredients from nutritional yeast to water.  In a small pan over low/medium heat saute shallots, garlic and tomato in 2 tbsp butter for 10 minutes.  Melt 2 more tbsp of butter in with shallot mixture.  Whisk in garbanzo bean flour.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Put heat to low and slowly whisk in nutritional yeast mix and cook for 2 more minutes.  Remove sauce from heat.
In a blender mix tofu, garlic powder, tumeric and Himalayan salt until smooth.  In a bowl mix tofu, cashew cream and chorizo.
Using 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast sauce cover hash brown crust.  Pour in chorizo filling.  Cover top with remaining nutritional yeast sauce. Arrange jalapeno on top. Bake for 35 minutes.  Cool for a few minutes and serve with a dollop of sour cream or in a burrito.

No comments:

Post a Comment