Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Baked Jalapenos


In the days when dairy and fast food were still part of my diet, this one establishment had Cream Cheese Jalapeno Poppers with a Raspberry Dipping Sauce. I loved the mix of sweet and spicy and have craved those little things for years which is why I chose the sweet addition of corn flakes.  I have attempted to make vegan fried poppers a few times with no luck.  Either the batter would come off or the stuffing would come out.  Now I must say I never tried making non vegan ones because they were so easy to find in restaurants so I am not sure if they would be any easier.
Reading recipes I stumbled across a baked version and I though it might just work veganized.  Well...half way into prepping it (or attempting to prep it) I told my husband to get visions of poppers out of his head because it wasn't happening.  Not liking to fail I came up with plan two.  All I can say is that I am worried about hubby having a tummy ache from eating all the peppers.  They were awesome and will fill the need for poppers in our life for now on, though they don't qualify as finger food because they need to be eaten with a fork and knife.

Ingredients
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
6 fresh jalapenos 
8 oz vegan cream cheese
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp wheat free Tamari
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp miso
juice of one lemon (about a tbsp)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
a pinch of cayenne pepper
2 cups frosted corn flakes, crushed*
1/4 tsp chili powder

In a bowl mix soy milk and vinegar.  This needs to sit for at least 15 minutes so it curdles.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut jalapenos in half, length wise and remove seeds.  Steam jalapenos for 3 minutes.
With a mixer, mix ingredients from cream cheese to cayenne until creamy.
Combine corn flakes with chili powder. After soymilk has sat for 15 minutes mix in with corn flakes. In an oven safe dish place steamed jalapenos.  Fill each one with cream cheese mixture.  Top them with corn flake mixture.  Use all corn flake mixture, it will spill over the sides of the jalapenos.  If you have left over cheese put on top of corn flake mixture. Bake for 40 minutes.  Serve immediately.  We served with Herb Dressing.


*if you buy gluten free like Envirokidz this is a gluten free recipe:)

No comments:

Post a Comment