Friday, June 17, 2011

Nectarine Blueberry Pie Meets A Crisp



Pie can be such a wonderful comfort food and I have never met one I didn't like but I have not had much experience making them.  Awhile back I purchased two frozen vegan pie crusts with pie making on the mind.  The other day I walked past some super fragrant organic nectarines and had to buy them. I love nectarine and blueberries in crisp so I decided to grab some blueberries also.  In passing someone else that smelt the nectarines commented on how good they would be in a pie.  You could see the light bubble above my head as the idea for this recipe was born.  After reading up on nectarine pies this is what I came up with.
We ate it the first night hot with vanilla soy ice cream.  It was gooey and delicious but didn't hold the shape of a piece of pie at all.  After being in the fridge over night it firmed up and it was slice-able and held the pie slice shape nicely and was still just as tasty!  I started reading up on what it would take to make my own pie crust and came across both a vegan pie crust and Gluten free pie crust (which is also vegan) recipes that I have provide links for just in case you are more adventurous than I am and want to make your own.   

Ingredients
9" pie crust

Filling:
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp maple syrup
3/4 cup heavy cashew cream
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
4 nectarines peeled and sliced
11 oz blueberries

Crisp topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup vegan butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together filling ingredients from brown sugar to almond milk. Gently stir in nectarines and blueberries.  In a separate bowl mix crisp topping ingredients from flour to cinnamon with a fork.  Cut in butter with fork until you have a bunch of crumbly chunks.  Pour filling mix into pie crust.  Crumbly topping over top until its evenly covered.  I highly recommend setting on a cookie sheet because mine bubbled over. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown.    Remove from oven and put pie pan on cooling rack.  If you are eating hot let sit about 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment